Viscosity- ElCapitan network issues on disconnect?

Got a problem with Viscosity or need help? Ask here!

HonzaIL

Post by HonzaIL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:47 am
Hello,

I have been using Viscosity for some time now (I have 1.5.11) on 10.10 with reasonable success. I am running just one program through tun interface, so I added "route-nopull" as the last command in Extra openVPN commands. Typically, after about 10-20 hours of connection to my vpn commercial service I loose incoming traffic (never figured out why), so I need to restart the connection. I thought the Ping Restart should do it, but it does not seem to, so I have to do this manually... This is not mission critical, so it is fine.
After installing ELCapitan (10.11.1) two days ago I have new much more critical problem. After boot I can start Viscosity and all works well, I can disconnect, reconnect, quit, start - all is working well with Viscosity.
However, after 12 - 24 hours of Viscosity running - and loosing the incoming connection - I get in situation, that I can disconnect Viscosity and not be able to reconnect again. Other programs seem to work somehow (they are using other interfaces) - even though the top command reports no internet traffic. That si weird and obviously wrong, I am sure there is traffic to my web, e-mail etc. They all do work.

I tried to renew the DHCP for the other interfaces, and poke around the network interface, nothing. Viscosity does not connect. Need to reboot.

What worse, this time after I quit and started Viscosity again system was slow ->> and I have found configd process hanging, running one cpu core at 100%. I was unable to even start Activity monitor and eventually had to hard reboot the system.

This is obviously difficult to debug, especially since I am not that proficient in networking problems. And my chances to debug are spaced far apart - seems I need more than 12 hours to get system in the hanging situation and have just one shot to try something out before I screw it up :-) .

There was no change from Yosemite configuration, so something had to change between ElCap and Yos which causes these issues.

ANY suggestions on what to look at/for?

Thanks!

HonzaIL

Post by HonzaIL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:50 am
Hello,

just update and addition. After today I have found out, that on disconnect my current Viscosity version 1.5.11 hangs openvpn process, which goes to 100% cpu (ope core) and the eventually brings down the whole operating system.

Hard reboot pf the system is necessary.

I tried current beta version and my program is not connecting through the current beta version at all, so the beta is not a solution at this time.

Any help/suggestions? I have to reboot ElCapitan every day now (hard reboot) where Yosemite was stable for month at a time.

Thanks!

James

Post by James » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Hi HonzaIL,

I believe we've already sent a reply to your direct email request. I've included the reply below.
My recommendation would be to check the Console log for any error messages or warnings - not just from Viscosity/OpenVPN but from all processes:
http://www.sparklabs.com/support/viewin ... nsole_log/

You may also like to check that your version of Mac OS X is up to date: Apple removed discoveryd from recent versions of Mac OS X in favour of mDNSresponder. If discoveryd is still active on your machine, and you have the latest Mac OS X updates installed, then it could point to a install problem on the machine.

I’m afraid I have no experience with Fuze. I’d recommend trying to disconnect the VPN connection with all software, including Fuze, closed to see what happens. It’s possible Fuze or another program may be attaching to the network interface preventing OpenVPN from being able to shut it down, causing it to hang.
Cheers,
James
Web: https://www.sparklabs.com
Support: https://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sparklabs
3 posts Page 1 of 1