SparkLabs Forum.

Community Help.

Howto establish VPN connection before user login ?

Hi :)

As many, we have several corporate VPNs (openvpn) running on linux servers. I've been using Viscosity on several desktops/laptops for my customers as it's so easy to configure, they can restart it easilly when needed, in one word, it's very noob* friendly.

Usually on laptops/desktops, users have only one user account and log directly in, so the VPN connection is established at session open time, no pb.

Problem is one company has a Windows 2008R2 server (mostly used as a domain server), with many user accounts, and backups of all user data are triggered through rsync (cwrsync in that case, running flawlessly on the 2008R2 server) by a remote linux server, via VPN. Only problem is, when the Windows server reboots, viscosity service starts allright, but the actual VPN connection is only established ( I don't really know why or if i missed something) when the viscosity client program starts,... which is when a session is opened, which is like ... never as the server is never connected to, except for maintenance. So I have to log into the server as admin, let viscosity launch, then lock that session for the openvpn tunnel to start.

Isn't there a way (i missed) to make the viscosity service handle that at boot time but before any user logs in ? (because it's sortof a pain in the neck right now)

Thx in advance.

Pierre Lhoste
Hi Pierre,

In short, no, there is no way to have Viscosity connect before a user has logged in.

Viscosity is a user based VPN application, it was never designed to be used in a server context. There have been a few requests of late just like yours to enable Viscosity to connect before login, and we have been looking into it, but it is still a ways down the feature list at this point in time.

The simple version of the issue is Viscosity needs a desktop to interact with as it's a user application, and no desktop is created by Windows until someone logs in.

Regards,

Eric
Thanks for the fast answer :)

OK, no problem. I'll just cook something using vanilla openvpn for the bloody servers and keep my Viscosity licenses for laptop/desktop.

BTW : viscosity is such a time saver with end users :)
Great to hear Pierre!

Hopefully we can get you the same time savings for the servers down the track!
I realize this thread is 3 years old now, but I wanted to see if there was an update on this issue at all? I'd love to see pre-Windows login support.

Eric wrote:
There have been a few requests of late just like yours to enable Viscosity to connect before login, and we have been looking into it, but it is still a ways down the feature list at this point in time.
Hi michaeka,

I'm afraid we don't have an update for you yet. This is still on a future feature list but I'm afraid I can't give you a solid ETA.

Regards,
Eric
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2016 SparkLabs Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy